Naming characters is one of the things I struggle with, so when I come up with one, I’m usually pretty happy. Trouble is, I don’t always think of the context and the other character’s names when I do. I ran into this snag in my most recent proposal. I had come up with a lovely name for the heroine of the second book in a new series I’m working that takes place in Saddlebank, Montana. This town was featured in my most recent Refuge Ranch series coming out in January 2014, April, 2014 and June 2014. I’m going back to the area for this next series.
I named the heroine of the yet-to-be-written books, Lauren. I liked the name. Lauren has a twin sister Erin and I thought I would find a way to make them match. BUT…in my previous Refuge Ranch stories, that also take place close to my town of Saddlebank, I had a church pianist/organist. Her name was Laura. Now Laura is already entrenched in the series, so I had to change Lauren’s name. Trouble was, I already had used Lauren’s name extensively through my manuscript. I didn’t feel like going through the whole manuscript to change the name.
This should be a simple fix – do a search and replace, right? Well I knew how to do a search and replace in Word and Pages, but I used Scrivener exclusively for my writing. It’s the bomb, amazing, wonderful, life changing….I love Scrivener. However I didn’t know how to do a search and replace in Scrivener. Now, in case any of you other lovely readers use the same program, here’s the solution.
In Scrivener you go to this:
Then you click on Project Replace and this comes up:
There is my dear Lauren whose life is about to change forever……or at least her name. I chose Michelle. I did a replace throughout everything, just in case I wasn’t tempted to hang onto the name or in case anything I might use when I hit compile would get attached….and voila, Lauren is now Michelle in my manuscript!
Amazing. So if you ever run into this snag in Scrivener, here’s how you fix it. Hope this helps someone else besides me. Have a wonder-filled day and week.